“Let the Junkie Die.”

-Heroin addicts are the worst people on earth.

-Black people steal.

-Mexicans are lazy.

-Muslims are all terrorists.

-Women and Asians are bad drivers.

Are you getting angry yet? Because I’m angry.

I’m livid.

I just read about a guy in Middletown, Ohio who was filmed and jeered at while overdosing and his mother screamed for help.

A few days ago a fellow recovering warrior posted a warning to active addicts because laced heroin is creating record high numbers of overdoses.

“Who cares?” people said. “Let them kill themselves… it’s population control.”

My daughters care. My parents care. My family and friends and even my ex-wife… they all still care.

Because it is a LIFE. Sometimes my own life was a much higher priority to those around me than it was to me. However, that was never the case more than when I was living the hell of active heroin addiction.

Get told you’re a worthless piece of shit long enough… you start to believe it.

I would love to believe that the majority of overdose deaths are accidental… but I don’t. I’ve witnessed suicidal tendencies in every single active addict I’ve met. “Normal” people don’t understand that the turmoil inside an addict’s mind is a far more horrifying prison than any jail cell. They don’t realize that there is no hateful thing they could say that the addict isn’t already saying to themselves.

Look, I can play devil’s advocate on this one. I realize that nobody FORCED a needle into their vein. I realize that unforgivable atrocities have been committed in pursuit of drugs. I understand that maybe your child was caught in the crossfire of a drug related shooting or your husband died of a heart attack while waiting for paramedics who were busy attending to “some worthless junkie” whose emergency was self-inflicted.

However, to spew hate and perpetuate stereotypes is furthering the stigma and exacerbating the big issue.

“Addiction always begins and ends with emotional pain.”

Today I’m not crying out to addicts to quit your drugs. You know you need to quit to survive. I’m pleading with you to QUIT PUNISHING YOURSELF.

Addiction brings out the worst in us. But recovering addicts are some of the strongest and loving people I’ve ever encountered.

If you are breathing you can still win. You might never be “out of the woods” completely, but you can lend strength when you have it and reach for it when you don’t.

You are not alone.

There is hope.

You ARE worth it.

180 Responses to “Let the Junkie Die.”

1. Jacky Todd August 23, 2016 at 5:24 pm #

What you have to say about addiction inspires me. I am not an addict but have lived with people that are my whole life. My father has been in recovery for 24 years and is the most influential make figure in my four children’s lives. A very dear friend of mine is a heroin addict, when he is clean he really is a beautiful person but when he is in active addiction it is really hard to handle. He is currently serving time for his third DUI and won’t be out for another 6 months. He sounds so good and focused on his recovery right now but that being said he has pretty much lost everything and has no choice but not to use because he is in jail. He was staying with me up until he locked up in July for 4 months there were obvious lows and highs all depending if he was using or detoxing he would stay clean for 4-5 days at a time usually with subs and I really struggled with letting him go because I know he has nothing and no where to go. He says he wants to go into treatment when his time is up which is a good sign he has 4 years probation after he is released and court ordered drug treatment. He is 37 I really hope he gives himself a chance at living a sober life because it’s a beautiful life I have watched my father love it.
    Keep inspiring people and keep up the hard work. You deserve it as well as your children and loved ones.
    Take care
    Jacky

• Dan Workman August 23, 2016 at 5:26 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to share this and for your compassion. When he gets out have him drop me a line. Maybe I can help.

Dan@KeepHopingPeople.com

• Debbie August 24, 2016 at 2:41 am #

Dan – You are an awesome guy! I am thrilled that you have “retired” and are taking the time to encourage others by offering your support to a stranger in need. It’s important to show them that there is a beautiful life awaiting them when they are able to get clean and that life doesn’t have to be dark and lonely- it can be magnificent!! Treatment should begin with teaching them that they have worth and helping them to find where they belong.

I have grown up my whole life with an aunt, and now a cousin who is addicted and it’s the hardest, saddest, most emotionally draining experience anyone could ever go through. It’s frustrating that ignorant people don’t realize that addiction is indeed a disease that needs more successful programs to help people get their lives back. Wouldn’t it be more cost effective for our government to properly treat the disease instead of spending tax dollars to house addicts in jail cells? Good programs are so very difficult to find that many give up before they find the help they so desperately need. How devastating. Keep writing your encouraging words and enjoying your life with your lovely family! 🙂

• bev August 25, 2016 at 5:42 pm #

I couldn’t agree more with what you said about treating the addict instead of punishing them. Jails and prisons are overcrowded because of people needing help for addictions. We can do way better than this!!! Spend the money getting them help and allowing them to be a productive member of society. I guess if this happened then an awful amount of people would be out of jobs!!!

• Sue August 26, 2016 at 12:50 am #

A young man named Joey lost his battle tothis disease in April. His mother spoke to a reporter about some of their journey and something the she said really stuck with me. She said something like she is glad for those who do not accept addictions as a disease because that probably means those people are not living the hell that the addicts and the families and friends of addicts are living. Her strength to be able to talk about Joey’s addiction inspired me be more open to and about the addicts in my life. So many of us think we have to keep it secret and that helps no one.

• Laura September 2, 2016 at 5:25 am #

I absolutely agree with u! I have a friend that is a heroin addict and has tried to get help numerous times and no one will take him because he doesn’t have insurance or the 3 or 4 thousand or more dollars that it takes to get into a Rehab place if u don’t have insurance! His parents have passed and he has no family to help him. He is now currently sitting in jail on multiple charges due to his addiction. Kinda sad when they do admit they have a problem and that they want n need help but there’s no place that will take them. So jail becomes there rehab but because they didn’t get the actual help that an addict needs they just couldn’t have the drug while they were locked up they usually end up right back on it once they r released and then not king back to a full blown addict. Very sad

• Brandon August 24, 2016 at 12:32 pm #

Dan
        What area are you from and help

I live in Tx and looking for so medical help for my wife

• Shelly September 22, 2016 at 9:52 pm #

Did you get the help you need for your wife? I am in PA but I could at least do research for you and find a treatment center if you aren’t able to do the research yourself. Good luck and take care.

• Dan Workman September 23, 2016 at 12:46 am #

Brandon, I’m in Utah. Please email me dan@keephopingpeople.com.

I guess you never got my email. I apologize. 🙁

• Ember August 24, 2016 at 10:02 pm #

Dan, so true an addicts mind and body suffers more worse in our own mind ,are own prison….and the only people who understand and are compassionate are the ones who have crossed that road….I believe something needs to be done different…..i have had friends that have died of overdose and they might of had a fighting chance if they could get into a treatment center exstensive help except there was one problem no insurance and no thousands $$ so guess what there dead now…. Its a disease and we all come in many forms…Drugs do not discriminate….Thank u for what u wrote very well said!!!

• Veronica September 11, 2016 at 10:01 am #

I had a very very close friend die from her addiction. She left a beautiful baby boy behind a mother who grieves so deeply every day.
          Her name was aslo Ember which is an uncommon name. Thank you for posting, it put her in my mind this morning which I am grateful for. Very sorry to hear about your friends who have passed.

• Natalie Hurley August 26, 2016 at 3:41 am #

Some people make bad choices in life. But being a drug addict is a disease and they don’t even know what they’re doing is wrong. Everyone deserves to be loved and accepted no matter what weakness they may have. Some refuse treatment or put it off. But that don’t mean they should die. Please pray for these people.
        And I know because I was a user almost 32 yrs. ago. I made a promise to Myself and to God.
        I’ll keep that promise and keep all in prayer even especially those that think a user should die, you haven’t been in those shoes so please don’t judge.
        Thanks

• Tami Henderson August 27, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

We live at ground zero here in my small city, every day someone is found overdosed, addicts don’t want to die, they are addicted , someone evil got this idea for prophet ,, some people think addicts are useless, I can introduce you to many whom are very talented folks, some are down right dangerous too, they are all someone’s baby girl or boy, who were loved at birth and still are, if it was your child you would despise the thought that any addict should die, that’s insane thinking … We save lives here, watch body bags picked up, feed a hungry sick person, in Canada this is allowed !!!

• jonas September 10, 2016 at 4:28 pm #

Whats up Dan? I appreciate the words of hope as I am juggling back and forth. Ive been to treatment 4 times.. ive nearly died too many times to count and recently had heart surgery febuary 2016. I contracted MRSA in my hand witch went to my heart causing one of my heart valves to have to.be replaced I am only 25 going on 26 in October. I just now started getting.back to feeling.normal after a relapse. Im hoping with continued support I can be the man I envision myself as. Mainly just wanted to say thank you for making my day today easier.

• Jess October 9, 2016 at 1:52 am #

From one Frankenstein heart to another…Hang in there man, you can do this. I have had 3 open heart surgeries/valve replacements from mrsa sepsis as a result of my heroin use. It’s crazy to fight for your life when you wanted nothing more than to end it huh!? Reach out, build supports, heal your body and your soul. Your worth it.

• Christina August 24, 2016 at 2:06 am #

Well my son overdosed in June and I still care to this day. I’m hoping his death will save others. This world is turning into a awful place where people just don’t care about anything

• Dan Workman August 24, 2016 at 2:23 am #

I’m so sorry. If you have time read the Maternal Warriors thing I wrote on here. It’s for you.

• Jillian August 24, 2016 at 4:02 pm #

Can you share the link for the maternal warriors thing you wrote. I have a brother that overdosed and passed away and a sister who got very sick and had to have a valve in her heart replaced because of an infection from shooting up. My mom is in a rough place right now and anything that may help her if like to share with her. Thanks

• Chad November 13, 2016 at 5:32 am #

Are you the one that wrote this post? If so thank we need more inspiring people like you in this world.. Everyone is quick to judge a addict but know one rlly knows what it’s like to be a herion addict when your on that drug you have a tottaly different mind set an people don’t understand that .. I used for almost 2 years an I’m going on 10 months clean and I’m thankfull

• Dan Workman November 14, 2016 at 5:34 am #

Yes, I wrote it. Thank you!!

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:50 pm #

I care. There are people who care, it may seem hard to find them but we are here. Please accept my condolences for the tragic loss of your child as I lost my mother when she was only 46 to a overdose. It seems you never fully heal, and the pain will always be there. I lived in that pain for over 6 years until I decided to let it push me and not hinder me. If you would like any extra support or even just friendship please feel free to join us at New Age Recovery. The support is amazing, I am one of the many wonderful admins that help keep the support alive.

• A Sister who is scared to lose her brother August 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm #

I’m so sorry 😔

• Vairame tedesco August 25, 2016 at 12:09 am #

I’m so sorry. My best friend and little brother did too. And it destroyed my parents. It the worst thing to go thru. And I care! And I’ll never stop..

• Karen August 25, 2016 at 12:46 am #

I am so sorry for your loss

• sherri August 25, 2016 at 4:39 pm #

Im so very sorry for your loss Christina. It is the nightmare of everyone that loves a addict. My most sincere sympathy and condolences

• Joy Albees August 25, 2016 at 10:09 pm #

Christina my heart breaks for you.. The death of a child must be the most devastating experience..I would like to believe your son didn’t die in vain as well.. The sad reality is it won’t make a difference for the most part.. Addicts watch other addicts die every day all day.. Yet they still pick up the needle and make a conscious decision to destroy everything in their life and in the lives of their families..Prayers to you and your family 🙏🏻🙏🏻

• Beth August 26, 2016 at 9:52 pm #

Is it a conscious decision though? I’m not sure it is once they are in 2 deep. And I believe with most addicts it’s the very first time they used. I have a son who is a drug addict and he seems very sad most of the time I am a sad mom right now. So sorry to all who have lost a loved one to this horrible disease. I will never stop loving my son even though he doesn’t seem to know that or care and it’s obvious he doesn’t love or respect himself. Hopeful he will want help b4 he can’t ask for it.

• Nancy Reopelle August 28, 2016 at 4:50 pm #

Beth, I know the pain you are going through. My son was a heroin addict for over 7 years before he got clean. He will be clean for 6 years this November, and just bought his own home. There was a time I really didn’t think that was ever possible. He was in so many rehabs, I can’t even count, he was homeless, and I was the only one left in the family that would even talk to him. You are right , they feel no respect left for themselves, but they need to know you still value and love them. My son was ashamed and hated himself. He couldn’t understand why I didn’t hate him too. He stole all my jewelry, money and lots of things he could pawn. He treated me poorly, but I told him I loved him anyway. I told him I wanted my son back, but I knew he had to get clean for himself, when he was ready. He was ready, he cried, he tried, but kept going back to the drug. Finally he found a place that was a good fit with wonderful people that made him feel good about himself again, gained some confidence and put in the work and the time, a year. He has come such a long way, but still struggles. I pray everyday for him and all the other young men and women who face this battle. As hard as it is, never stop telling your son you love him.
            Nancy, mother of an addict

• Amber August 27, 2016 at 2:52 am #

Once in active addiction, you no longer have a choice.. addicts are very scared to be sick. They have a choice to go into treatment but not picking up.

• kelly August 26, 2016 at 10:16 am #

My son died 2 years ago of a heroin overdose. I still care too… he was a brilliant young man, kind, beautiful and sensitive. I love and miss him dearly.

• Lynn August 26, 2016 at 5:43 pm #

I am so sorry to hear of your sons passing. Your strength in wanting to help is amazing. My son 23 Overdosed just last week and all I want to do is fight! Fight to end this, because as parents we do care!
        I was blessed with that one minute. One minute away from losing him. The image of finding my son makes me angry at this horrific epidemic on our children.
        It’s horrifying and we’re not helpless at fighting this.
        Thank you for sharing your story, I know how close I was and can’t even imagine your pain. I am so sorry for your loss.

• Colleen August 26, 2016 at 6:27 pm #

My son also overdosed in June, the 9th, to be specific. How does one move on besides to try and help those in the same predicament? Blessings to you and I’m sorry, very sorry for your loss. Google compassionatefriends and you may find a group with similar circumstances to support you.

• Susan W August 27, 2016 at 12:23 pm #

I also lost my daughter in June to an overdose. The pain is with me everyday. I do pray that their deaths do help to save another life. I am a paramedic and see the pain of addiction every day💔

• alex August 25, 2016 at 11:19 am #

I am a active heroin addict I was at home waiting for my girl to pick me up she never showed, the next day I was blowing her phone up pissed come to find out she had died of an overdose every day when I use all I can think about is seeing her again all I want is to “acsadently” overdose and die I can’t handle this hell I live in but I also have no family or support either I live in Akron Ohio I’m 23 and my name is Alexander quesenberry I just want it to be over.

• Sue August 27, 2016 at 7:23 pm #

Alex don’t give up! There is help out there . Go to Quest! Life can be so wonderful. My daughter died of a overdose in June and it just breaks my heart to see anyone going through this. PLEASE GET HELP❤️

• Diane August 29, 2016 at 6:58 pm #

Alex, you are worthy of love and a good life. Don’t give up! Life is worth living. As they have said, there is help out there. My son’s name is Alex also and he is struggling with addiction. We all have to fight this battle together. We need each other more than ever.

• Kelly August 25, 2016 at 8:49 pm #

I have watched many and when I say many, I mean a lot of my friends die due to addiction. Overdosing, murder and suicide are the results of an addict that seems to not be able to find the help they need. There is no such thing as a hopeless dope fiend. To them it appears hopeless and a battle that they cannot defeat.
      I was one of those hopeless dope fiends that found a new way to live. I was guided by recovering addicts that pioneered a path that I could follow. I found the path difficult in the beginning. I stumbled and fell. I picked myself back up with the help of others, dusted myself off, and tried again. People that knew me 13 years ago and see me again now are surprised that I am still alive. Today I share my story of my struggles. I share my experience, strength and hope in order to help someone that’s in the position I was in. Today I’m a Dopeles Hope Fiend!

• Edweb August 26, 2016 at 2:49 pm #

Enforce kaseys law if you really want to help them.. that’s a start. Kaseys mom spoke at a meeting that I went to if your really wanting to help you or someone you love I would highly recommend it

• Katherine August 26, 2016 at 7:06 pm #

Thank you for your reply to this story Jacky. It’s so refreshing to hear from a kind soul caring for others through their struggles. Xoxoxo

• Angie August 30, 2016 at 1:14 am #

Thank you for putting into words things that I never could. Love you always Dan.

• Dan Workman August 30, 2016 at 1:49 am #

Is this the Angie I think it is?

• Angie August 30, 2016 at 6:33 pm #

Yep haha

• Dan Workman August 31, 2016 at 4:32 am #

Well, hey there sis!! Check out part two. There’s a bit in there about your twin.

• Erin September 8, 2016 at 6:59 pm #

Jacky u sound like a great person n great friend.He will never forget u stuck around when all his other friends n family dipped.So nice to hear someone not bashing the addict. May God bless u n I hope u r friend gets well.Takecare!!

• Disgusted September 15, 2016 at 3:21 pm #

My cousin was in prison. A high security one for 8 years. He walked out an addict. He said there are more drugs in prisons than on the streets. From people that bring them in to our very own security guards. Get in good with them you are taken care of. That’s pathetic.

• John October 20, 2016 at 6:38 pm #

You have to understand though that living with an addict can ruin a family’s life. My brother is a junkie and because of that my family basically fell apart. Somebody had to be at the house at all times and, to be frank, my brother is to stupid to understand he needs help. If my parents tell him to leave he would be dead in a week as he can’t take care of himself but because of him my sister and I have no real family to speak of. My brother is a terrible human being and, sorry to say, if he overdosed numerous people’s lives would get much better.

2. Marian O'Neil Smith August 23, 2016 at 5:35 pm #

Super great article filled with truth. Also, folks need to know an “Addict”,( I just can’t use the “J” word, just like I can’t use the “C” word.”) is someone’s son, daughter, brother, sister, mother, father & on & on. Don’t judge least you be judged. If you have nothing nice to say, just ones of hate & cruel judgement, don’t waste your breath, because your just showing the world what a hateful person you are. Addiction also doesn’t discriminate. Like many of us, you may one day find out on the internet, via inmate locator, that YOUR child suffers from “Addiction”, or by a phone call, that a family member finally makes you aware that your child is in crisis mode of an “Addiction”. Hopefully you find a support network like many of us have had to, & educate yourself, to the horrors of this disease which has kidnapped more of our children’s life than you will ever know. Pray you don’t wake up to this sorrow, never knowing what the next day will bring. The ungodly fear of “That Phone Call or Knock on the Door”.

• Deborah Gray August 25, 2016 at 4:58 am #

Thank you…as a mother who buried her youngest from a heroin overdose 26 months ago, and who just sent her oldest back to rehab…people forget these addicts, these “junkies” are so much more than their addiction and they have many people who love and care for them….even when they no longer care or love themselves 🙁

• Lynn August 26, 2016 at 5:45 pm #

Amen. Stay in the fight, You’re not alone!

3. Norma Jean August 23, 2016 at 5:43 pm #

Just your Average Junkie

I have an issue I need to address,
    I learned I need to let shit out,
    And get it off my chest.
    I use to write,
    Before my soul was lost.
    I was going to use,
    No matter the cost.
    You spit out the word junkie,
    As if you understand,
    What it is like to be someone like me.
    The predicament lies in my heart,
    This is what broke me.
    My mind, and my strength,
    Is what built me up and set me free.
    Say what you will,
    To me your opinion is oblique.
    I am something you will never be,
    Strong, intellectual and unique.
    Yes I am the one who took that pill,
    Put my family through hell.
    Dusted myself off,
    And climbed back up the hill.
    You will never understand why,
    I feel the way I do.
    Because you will never have the ability,
    To put even one foot in my shoe.
    Try all you will I guarantee,
    It would never fit.
    Don’t even pull up a chair,
    I wouldn’t allow you to sit.
    Let me explain this in a way,
    Even the ignorant can understand.
    Us junkies should be dead,
    But we recovered,
    Pull out of the shadows instead.
    Could you use and recover the same,
    No you speak your opinions,
    Lips moving too fast to include your brain.
    So take your uneducated guess,
    Use your words and try to put me down,
    Go ahead try and give it your best.
    The fact of the matter is,
    You admire my strength,
    My undoubtable will to live.
    I know this is something,
    You will never admit.
    When you see my walk by,
    And not notice you at all.
    When you dial my number,
    And I hit ignore the call.
    It’s because your opinions disunite.
    It is our recovery you fear deep within,
    You fear our feat while battle,
    We will win the fight.
    We know who you are,
    You are the ones who,
    Let us lay where we fell.
    Oh wait I forgot we are junkies,
    We know nothing at all.
    Accept for the wisdom to realize,
    Your words hold no potency,
    You will never be able to break us,
    Don’t waste time trying so hopelessly.
    Sit back and judge,
    A disease you could never understand.
    Wonder what is that thing she wears,
    On her wrist as a band?
    Your heart is as weak as your mind,
    Clouded with judgement,
    As heavy as my bag of black sand.
    It is the person you call junkie,
    Who is impassioned beyond comprehension .
    For he is the one,
    Who bares sentiment,
    Inability to cope the with the heartache, Of those who agonize and suffer.
    So he crawled in the shadows,
    In a attempt to hide from the pain.
    For this was his only release,
    His reasonability to feel less insane.
    While you stared in the mirror,
    Admiring your glowing skin.
    Unaware that beauty,
    Can only be found deep within.
    Fear not for we can’t change the past,
    Fear our beginning of vitality,
    Fear our indignation as we recover,
    For this is the memory we intend to discover.
    William Borroughs, Hunter Thompson,
    Aspired intellectual literature,
    You can’t begin to comprehend.
    But I bet you read Stephen King,
    One of the deepest story tellers,
    Most imaginative process among us all.
    Did you know he used cocaine,
    To write his book The Observer?
    But he used he is a junkie,
    Yet he still writes and stands tall.
    Make sure when you use that word,
    Not to forget and include us all!
    It is your loss you lack empathy,
    And the ability to feel this deeply.
    We were left hopeless,
    And used drugs to escape a unsurpassable pain.
    Let me try my best,
    Open your thought process as I explain.
    It is our hearts that could not deal,
    With what our brain intended to heal,
    Help us process the mechanisms,
    The tools and ability to learn to feel.
    I can’t help but to wonder,
    What would have happened if you,
    If you lent out your hand?
    Lifted up a lost soul,
    Sinking heavily in the sand?
    Would they have picked up that needle,
    Would they have smoked that bowl?
    You did not even try,
    We will now never know.
    It is my belief where we are now,
    Is just one capacious test.
    You allowing cajolement,
    Only hinders you from being,
    One of us one of the best.
    As you compile us all into your bias,
    Junkies united we stand.
    Don’t forget to include those authors,
    You keep on your night stand.
    It is that literature you place out,
    Hoping company will see.
    So you have something to open up,
    And talk with them about.
    If you put it there maybe they will,
    Now form a opinion,
    Not based on actual intellect no doubt.
    Be careful who you judge,
    Watch the words you speak.
    It takes people in recovery,
    To build up our most weak.
    It takes the person once a junkie,
    That turned me into what you see.
    I hope you now understand,
    And I tried my best to explain this,
    To the confused at length.
    We are who we are,
    Our past gave us strength.
    You see I was once like you,
    Long before I was a junkie.
    Using words for weapons,
    Lacking the ability to empathize what,
    I thought I knew and refused to see.
    Please Interpret this one thought,
    I bring you from our native land.
    I guarantee it is us junkies who will be here,
    When you fall and need a helping hand.
    When all hope is lost,
    And you feel all alone.
    Your fellow junkie,
    Will make sure you find home.

Sincerely,
    The Junkie

• Dan Workman August 23, 2016 at 6:07 pm #

This. Is. AMAZING.

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:32 pm #

• Robbie August 25, 2016 at 8:22 am #

I use to use crack cocaine AND IT took me going to jail to stop and losing everything I had and almost all my family because of it. But I have been clean now for 2 years and I’m very happy with myself and if anyone needs help let me know I’m here to help.

• Joy Albees August 25, 2016 at 10:21 pm #

Congrats!! Sadly but blessed that you had to hit rock bottom to wake up and get clean.. But at the same time others have to hit rock bottom hit rock bottom over and over again and still don’t get it…Its a damn shame..

• Rick September 8, 2016 at 4:04 pm #

It’s funny how I judge druggie all much my whole life.. I’m 40 years old my mom die 8 years ago.. I was 32 that when my life start down hill.. My mom was my bestfriend she was the best mom ever but guess what I never took the time to tell her I was to bad telling all my hoes I love them… Tell I was 32 I never did a drug in my life I’ve never smoke nothing one day one of my friends ask me if I want a p15 pain pill I said why he said u r about to go to work it will make u fill good I said I’ll try it so I told it man I was so happy talking to everyone at work on top of the world’sthat day change my life forever.. I got where I could eat 10 15s at a time I was eating 20 away easy… So I move to Cleveland Ohio to quit will I didn’t know what a sub or box was then and I didn’t know if I didn’t have pills I could take heroin didn’t know that they r call opennie a drug group….it the worst thing ever to go though…plz don’t take pain pills if u don’t need them… Then the doc put u on sub or box they call them here now I’m on that it so harder to come off them then pills it’s a money thing to get ur money still.. Well to get to day I’m still on sub and now I do ice meth I pick it up been doing Meth for about 2 years now.. People thing we won’t to live like this really I stole checks from my dad I’ve never toke anything from Walmart before my dad and mom raised me not to take from someone who work for it… Drugs will make u do shut u never would thing u would do… I’m fighting it everyday I got 2 sons one 17 years old is the best kid ever and I got a 14 years to but he live with his mom both my sons r from same girl but I’ve had my 17 year sentence he was 6 years old… But what I’m saying everyone on drugs got a story try to listen plz sometime they just need someone to talk to… I now teach my kids never to judge anyone tell u live ur life or ur walking in there shoes don’t judge because u never know u might them 10 years down the road… Just wish I would of knew more about drugs…prays for everyone fighting the battle everyday…the dude that live in Akron Ohio I live there to cuy falls Ohio if u need a friend to talk to dude I’m here. My dad told me this and it’s so true he said Rick living is hard but dieing easy man how true that is… Dieing ur love one r the one die to that why I trying to get better not going to die for my kids and my dad sister… Prays

• Lisa Sipes August 24, 2016 at 1:00 am #

Wow. This is really deep and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:34 pm #

So sorry to make you cry, I use to write all the time and was not able to for years because my mind was so clouded. I hope now my word may resonate and bring awareness. Bless you.

• Meth User August 25, 2016 at 8:22 pm #

Im a meth addict & I can relate…..the world is so ugly & I hate….i hate everybody & everything! Not only an addict but mentally ill….double whammy….ha I wait for the day whn I take that 1 hit too many & have a heart attack. U see i must be unlovable….ya that must be it…I dont know how to love myself…..im ugly im fat im old & i have no money so tell me who could love that??? Im mean & evil & i dont care….im in a holding tank just waiting waiting to die.

• Dan Workman August 25, 2016 at 9:33 pm #

I’m so proud of you for writing this because you ARE reaching out. Feel free to email me. I know what it’s like when the hole seems too deep. I say to people in support chats all the time… “what looks like an endless ocean in front of you is just a series of many small puddles. Jump them one at a time.” You can still turn this hate into hope. I don’t even know your name but I know you have worth. Please don’t give up.

• Shawntel August 26, 2016 at 1:06 am #

I care and I know God cares, loves and knows your situation.
            Brother “I Drink Alcohol” PRAY.
            Brothers tells me “I Sell Drugs” PRAY.
            “I Take Drugs” PRAY.
            “I Have A Girlfriend And I’m Sleeping With Her” I tell you PRAY.
            No matter what’s happening in your life , PRAY.
            “But Brother , How Can I Be Committing All These Sins And Pray ?”
            “Thats Disrespectful, That Makes Me A Hypocrite.”
            I tell you no ! That’s why we PRAY.
            Becouse we’re not perfect. We’re sinners. We do wrong.
            The Prayer Will Take You away From Sin “. PRAY!!!!

• Aimee August 24, 2016 at 1:19 am #

Omgosh that was amazing!!! Could you e-mail that to me? Srcflgirl123@yahoo.com

• Norma Jean August 28, 2016 at 5:22 am #

Yes I will right now. Sorry I have been crazy busy we are on our way to Detroit we will be interviewing Tw1tch. Life is good!

We will be on the air from 12-2pm

• Dan Workman August 28, 2016 at 5:30 am #

Norma, have you seen the podcast interview post I did on here? Maybe you can give me pointers as I do more speaking.

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:12 am #

No I am sorry Dan I have not. Are we Facebook friends?

• Dan Workman August 31, 2016 at 5:19 am #

We could be. I’ve gotten 800 new friends in the last couple of months. I’m easy to find on my new facebook page. facebook.com/keephopingpeople

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:23 am #

Okay I messaged you, I think we are both overwhelmed with requests right now lol hopefully we find eachother soon! 😊

• Jennifer August 24, 2016 at 1:50 am #

WOW!! True insight

• Storm Gale August 24, 2016 at 4:33 am #

Amazingly put and wrote!

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

Thank you for your kind words. Have a wonderful day and do not be afraid to reach out your hand or even just give a smile to someone in need, it is the little things that go a long way.

• Trish August 24, 2016 at 6:06 am #

Thank you! Love it! Hugs from an addict named Trish

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

Your welcome sista! Hugs right back at you! Don’t forget to smile today 😊

• Jessica August 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm #

Absolutely, Love this….

• Sheila Llewellyn August 26, 2016 at 12:33 am #

I have heard this in my daughter’s cry for help as she pushed those who love her most away. Each word you speak comes straight from the prodigal heart and I thank you for sharing.

Mom of a Prodigal.

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:14 am #

You are very welcome, I will pray for your daughter ❤️

• shanee August 26, 2016 at 1:27 am #

nice

• Becky August 26, 2016 at 9:48 am #

You are an inspiration, and I hope that you can use your gift to speak in an auditorium to thousands who don’t understand ~~ I do not have a problem with drugs or alcohol, and by the grace of God don’t know anyone who does ~~ but I do suffer from severe anxiety and depression ~~ another illness that people who don’t have it, don’t have a clue!! I wish you would go on the news to educate people, get your story out there!! Good and love to you 💚

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:16 am #

I am certainly trying to do all that I can to help. I lost my mom to a overdose, and my step dad… It has been a long hall but I am proud of where I am and what I am doing. This last weekend we broadcasted live in Detroit that was just amazing to sit and share my story!

• tracey August 26, 2016 at 12:52 pm #

Beautifully said….
      -mom of an addict working on recovery

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:17 am #

Please feel free to join our online support group at New Age Recovery.

• Kerry August 26, 2016 at 8:05 pm #

This is the best thing I have read. What intellect, heart and soul. Thank you. Such wise, important words.

• Norma Jean August 31, 2016 at 5:17 am #

What a compliment thank you so very much

• Peter August 27, 2016 at 12:53 am #

Dear Junkie,

You stole from your mother. She paid for your lawyers. You mother takes care of your expenses. You treat her like shit and threaten suicide to get your way. You ding God when your in jail and forget him when you get out.
      Dear Junkie do us all a favor clean up your life, leave your family, give us peace. If after 20 years as a junkie doesn’t change, Find your way or get out of the way. Your life lacks purpose, you hurt the ones you love so please move out of their life or move on to the next Life!!

• unknown August 28, 2016 at 2:13 am #

You are so bright and loving. Sometimes it takes time for someone to get where they need to be to get better. Until then they don’t need anyone telling them they are worthless….

• Norma Jean September 9, 2016 at 10:15 pm #

If you are interested in helping me put a end to the stigma please visit my store. I created this with my kids. Our goal is to save money and put it towards a treatment center in the future. I am a nurse, I have substance abuse counsellors, and many many more I would like to get involved in the future but we all have to start somewhere so here is my start! God bless and stay strong 💜

4. scott weidle August 23, 2016 at 6:51 pm #

DanielsStory.org

The Medical Discrimination against the Disease of Addiction

5. Melissa August 23, 2016 at 6:58 pm #

I had never known anyone on heroin until I was 29. that’s when I met my biological father. he and my brother were addicts. I first hand witnessed what that particular drug does to those you love. it’s the most horrible thing I’ve ever watched anyone go through. my father made it, my brother did not. everyone treated my brother like a junkie until he died. then they all remembered the great person he was before his addiction. if you’ve never been close to some one that lost that battle, you never truly understand the loss. because I didn’t understand until it was too late and he was gone. I’m sorry for anyone going through this. those addicted and their families.

6. Brandi August 23, 2016 at 8:40 pm #

My Addiction

I truly am unhappy, can’t you see?
    My Addiction takes everything out of me.

It creeps in and takes hold,
    Now my compulsion is tenfold.

My Addiction has 100% of my attention.
    Please dear God, give me redemption!

I’m yelling and screaming, can you hear me sing?
    Nothing else matters, but this one thing!

It robs my children from their mother.
    My house is a mess, my mind is full of clutter.

At times it feels like I’m living my dreams
    Take a closer look, it’s not what it seems.

Why can’t I stop? Please help me, someone!
    They gave up long ago, they are all done!

My latest obsession never makes it go away,
    My problems are still here, forever to stay!

It’s time to face the music, all alone,
    I’ll just go to sleep, in my bed at home.

And in the morning, when I awake,
    My mind won’t stop, this I can not take!

This obsession is over and through,
    Time to find another one, shinny and new!

Focus is what I really need,
    Moving ahead- full speed!

My dear friends, didn’t I tell you I was crazy?
    This poem was a three day obsession…. oops a daisy!

7. Heidi August 23, 2016 at 9:57 pm #

We are good parents who have hopes and dreams for our kids just like you. They played all the sports, had rules and punishments, were raised with love and care and were taught to say no to drugs too. So what makes your family immune from this disease? Do you think you love your children more than us, or maybe keep them sheltered from certain neighborhoods or god forbid from families like us!  Maybe you have more money and think you can buy them everything they will ever need, and that power and influence in your community will protect your loved ones from devastation and heartache that these drugs breed. I hear the comments that you are bringing your kids up right and these are the families I pray for at night. No one is immune from this state of madness, and the more we try to ignore it’s out there, right next door it’s waiting to fill your heart with sadness. Addiction knows no borders, it seeps into your life and by the time you see it there is no amount of money or prestige as it will bring the strongest family to their knees. So again I implore you to educate, be conscious, be aware, for hurtful comments and remarks, because all around you we are there hearing those words you so recklessly share, but we continue to fight, continue to care, for our children matter and they have something more special than you will ever know. An army of Warrior’s whose strength and faith continues to grow, even though we are faced with constant stigma and greed, we are a fearless group and we will succeed;♡

• Dan Workman August 23, 2016 at 10:30 pm #

Love, love, love.

• Susie August 25, 2016 at 12:29 am #

Love this. So many parents and families think they are immune, that their kids will never be a drug addict, especially a heroin addict. Addicts come from all types of families and homes and you never know when your saying negative things if the person who hears you is dealing with addiction, if they lost someone to addiction or not so please keep your negativity to yourself. Addiction is an illness and should be looked upon as an illness. Those of us who know someone or have a family member dealing with addiction will never give up on them. I care about all of the addicts and the families of the addicts and everyone should be willing to step up and help if they can, any way they can.

8. Debbie K August 24, 2016 at 3:32 am #

There are some in this world who may have never did these drugs but who are out here and who do care. As one writer who wrote said no one is immune this is so so true. We all need to recognize That this is a real problem and instead of pointing fingers we need to reach out with our hands so those who may need a friend ….. Will have one.
    May all who suffer with addiction ….. I hope with all my heart each one of you will find the courage and the strength to beat your addictions.

9. jimmy August 24, 2016 at 11:12 am #

YOU keep COMING to ME NOT I TO YOU
    SO make YOUR DECISION DONT PONDER ALL NIGHT
    You wont have to come back to the LIGHT
    ENJOY YOUR SOBRIETY AND LIVE YOUR LIFE WELL
    OR GRAB A NEEDLE AND ILL TAKe YOU TO HELL

10. Sue August 24, 2016 at 1:19 pm #

Its the truth I have been around addiction since I was 4yrs old(yes I remember) and started on my road to addiction when I was 13 alcohol weed speed coke pain pills xannax were some of my choices all to mask pain of sexual abuse rape abortion and just all out no self worth but now 44 yrs later I am finally free of any altering substance since 5/30/16 when I took my last pill and although it feels great waking up and not having to depend on a drug to get thru the day there r times where all I do is think about just taking something because it felt good to escape I kno that calling someone or just doing something to take my mind off of it is the best thing for everyone.what every drug addict needs is to b accepted I think that would help so many suffering to kno that there r ppl who care even when ur at ur worst.

11. Nikos kardasis August 24, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

I have tears of gratitude in my eyes.
    People who have been in recovery gave this faith to me.”you can if you want”.I’ve been in recovery when i was 51years old and totally fucked up.Next month i will celebrate 4years clean,thanks to you guys!God bless you.You gave my life back

• Norma Jean August 24, 2016 at 5:39 pm #

Congrats!!! That is absolutely amazing! I commend you for all
      Of your hard work ❤️

12. Diana Lynch August 24, 2016 at 3:08 pm #

i would like to follow please.

• Dan Workman August 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm #

I’m trying to figure it out. I never expected this. I wish they’d let you build websites out of lumber… I’d be fine. 😉

• Dan Workman August 25, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

There’s an email box on here now.

13. jimmy August 24, 2016 at 3:29 pm #

Ill be WAITING for you out on the STREET
    Befor you TAkE THAT SHOT Most you THINK IT THRU
    YOU keep COMING to ME NOT I TO YOU
    SO make YOUR DECISION DONT PONDER ALL NIGHT
    You wont have to come back to the LIGHT
    ENJOY YOUR SOBRIETY AND LIVE YOUR LIFE WELL
    OR GRAB A NEEDLE AND ILL TAKe StrAigHT tO HeLL If YOuR nOT DeAD VEry sOon ILl PuT YOu IN JAil deTOxing iN a ROom as time goes bye you think YOu ARe Fine But THen TheM DooRS OPeN and I no you are mine

14. Julie August 24, 2016 at 4:20 pm #

As a parent of a struggling addict, I find hope in these words. We are all in this together and that is the only way we will survive, is to stand together! As I live my journey and watch my son walk his path I continue to learn and understand the hold this drug has on people. Most importantly I’ve learned to be empathetic and not to judge an addict but to see the person behind the drug.

I believe No one wants to be clean more than an addict. I pray someday everyone will understand. Thank you for sharing your stories and spreading hope!

Julie
    The loving mother of an amazing son who is so much more than an addict.

• Shelly August 26, 2016 at 1:37 am #

I understand completely! If my son and daughter could only see their worth as much as I do!!!

15. Katelyn August 24, 2016 at 7:42 pm #

Dan,

Thank you for sharing this. I lived in Middletown, OH during the majority of my use, it’s where my life truly started to spiral out of control. I want to comment here what I did on a news article’s thread about 30 overdoses in Cincinnati, OH in 9 hours last night (8/23/16).

The ones that you all so easily avert your eyes from and turn your back to, we’re all someone’s daughter, son, mother, sister, husband and wife. We’re all human. What happened to compassion? This could have been me. In all reality, it should have been me. Or, I should be in prison for all the things that I did during active addiction. But it’s not. And you know why? Because I have a mother and a father that thankfully never gave up on me. They pressed felony charges on me for stealing from them and I am forever grateful as it started the beginning of my end of the road. Then I had a lot of lawyers and police officers that wanted me to go to prison for three years, but a compassionate judge (Judge Robert Peeler of Warren County) and probation officer decided to send me to inpatient rehab instead. I had been to rehab plenty of times before and never stopped, but what made this time different? It wasn’t the fact that I was facing three years in prison, it wasn’t the fact that I had no one left in my corner but my mom and dad. It was that when I woke up each morning, I was angry that I didn’t OD the night before, when death was so much more inviting than trying to find the ways and means to get one more. But the beautiful thing about life is that as long as someone is breathing, there is ALWAYS hope. September 17th, I will celebrate three years clean from all mood and mind altering substances. When you look at someone like me who wasn’t supposed to make it, and look at the life I’m able to live, if I had been left for dead or thrown in a cell and locked away, I would not be where I am today. Just for today I will pray for the still sick and suffering, and also for those that lack compassion and love.

Keep sharing the hope that an addict, ANY addict, can stop using, lose the desire and find a new way to live. We do recover. <3

16. Katelyn August 24, 2016 at 7:51 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing this. I lived in Middletown, OH for most of my use and it’s where my life really started to spiral out of control. I’m going to share here what I shared on a news article about 30 overdoses in 9 hours in Cincinnati, OH last night (8/23/16)…

Thanks for showing people that an addict, ANY addict, can stop using, lose the desire and find a new way to live. We do recover. <3

17. linnea m sandkuhler August 25, 2016 at 2:27 am #

Dear Family, Friends, Neighbors, Acquaintances, Co-Workers, Music Associates, and Our Heroes in “The Program,”

In the early morning of December 10, 2015, our son, Joshua, died from a heroin overdose. We believe his addiction started about 12 years ago but it’s hard to say for certain because this disease of the Devil entered our home as slowly and quietly as a snowflake hits the ground. Over time, we came to realize there was a lot of snow on the ground.

You may be wondering: Why in the world would anyone want to share such a dark family secret…expose the “Scarlet Letter?” There are several reasons.

Joshua’s life cannot and will not be defined by his addiction. Josh had this evil disease but his disease is not who he was. So, who was Josh? In his “professional” life, Josh was:

A brave firefighter and BLS technician with the BCFD
    A skilled bridge inspection technician
    A prolific and profound guitarist-singer-songwriter
    An extremely talented engineer and producer of music for live performances and studio
    A creative writer of stories
    An aspiring photographer, woodworker, jewelry maker

All these things greatly impacted many people. All are now discontinued. This is WHAT addiction stole from the world.

But these things were his occupations, hobbies. Although they offer a glimpse of who Josh was, we don’t believe Josh, any addicted person, or any person, really, should be defined by their occupation. So, again, who was Josh?

A strong believer in, defender of, and evangelist for his Catholic Faith (Yes, you can have ugly faults and still remain true to your Faith.)
    A loving, caring son, brother, uncle, nephew, and cousin (He always ended his phone conversations with “Tell everybody I love them very much and give ‘em a big hug for me.”)
    A loyal friend to many
    An empathetic listener to anyone
    A believer that “Right” was right and “Left” was wrong (I had to steal this line.)
    A gifted storyteller and always an entertainer

Those of you who knew our son could testify to this being Josh. (Many already have on social media.) All these things greatly impacted many people in a positive way. But they are all now discontinued. THIS is WHO addiction stole from the world.

People who suffer – and their suffering is unimaginable – from this evil disease are not bad people. When not recovering, they are dreadful but it’s not who they really are. They are like our Josh. They are somebody’s mother/father, son/daughter, brother/sister, uncle/aunt, niece/nephew, cousin. Those with substance addiction have a devastating disease that requires intensive medical care, tough love, and an unearthly measure of patience and understanding. It’s very hard to look into those glazed eyes and recognize there’s a breathing human being inside. We know. We have looked into the eyes of our son but couldn’t see our beautiful Joshua. But, yes, sadly, it was. And as long as any one of these suffering people is still breathing God’s air, there is Hope, Hope for recovery that the person can again be who they are, not what they do. Hope is, many times, all they have left to lose. Hope is the last line of defense.

Warning to parents: Your children are the Devil’s target. If you don’t believe in the Devil you need to know, nevertheless, that your children are particularly at risk. If you have young children, don’t give them too much slack on their tether line. Discipline them with your love without destroying their spirit. Pray with them. Talk with them about drugs (and sex, too). Have meals as a family – – – daily. Monitor their use of the internet, facebook and the social media du jour, television, and the like. Although these are today’s sources of knowledge, communication, and entertainment, you must know they are also the world’s tools that, very insidiously, advocate all of the seven deadly sins and addictive behavior and lifestyles. Sure, we did all these things and, as it turned out so well for us, where’s the value in our advice? At some point in your childrens’ lives they will choose their own path. You’ll want to explore your hearts for some peace that their chosen path, especially if it’s not a good one, was one of their choosing, not a result of your ambivalence or negligence.

The evil of addiction does not discriminate. It infiltrates the world of both sexes, all ages, races, professions, neighborhoods, social circles, and tax brackets. We learned this sad lesson in the 12 long years of Josh’s battle. As we speak openly about this demonic disease with relatives, friends, neighbors, co-workers, acquaintances, or even strangers in a supermarket, we are awakened to the overwhelming number of affected people and the magnitude of its torment. If you think you and those in your family are protected, safe – WAKE UP! You are not. You have no immunity; there is no vaccine. No one knowingly and actively pursues a career as an addict. Not the doctor, priest, artist, high school student, unemployed person and, no, not Joshua. You may think, “Other people become addicts, not me…not someone in my family.” Don’t be cocky, be vigilant.

We thank all who have offered kind condolences, cards, gifts, and most of all prayers. Eternally love your family and live with the Faith that God keeps you all, always, in His Loving protection.

With Love,

Steve and Linnea Sandkuhler

• Dan Workman August 25, 2016 at 2:50 am #

This is absolutely beautiful. If you scroll through the archives to the second page you’ll see a “Maternal Warriors” post that I’d love for you to read.

• linnea m sandkuhler August 25, 2016 at 1:05 pm #

I am going to do that Dan, thank you

• linnea m sandkuhler August 25, 2016 at 1:37 pm #

Read it and it’s loved the video. Every addict out there is now one of my kids. Adding a video my youngest son made a year before Josh died–Sebastian is a graphic design major but almost every project he has had in the last couple years has been on addiction. The music is an underscore of a song Josh and his dad recorded on a cd 0f their music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hl29c5gZc4—stay strong , big Hug

• Loving my child August 26, 2016 at 1:21 pm #

mr. & mrs. Sandkuhler, of all i have read on here so far i thank you the most for speaking up and sharing. Because your son was not what othets would perceive as a typical addict most of society believe (or at least pretend to believe) addiction only happens to poor, neglected, ghetto, ect. People. .. Well wake up world IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU TOO… no matter who or what your position your child is at as much risk as any other truth be told maybe more BECAUSE you will turn a blind eye refuse to believe and deny reality much longer than those of us who KNOW the risk is there. You see i am the mother of a beautiful daughter who also happens to be an addict and i pray everyday she will recover before she shares the gate of so many addicts. Because me and all 4 of her sons live her dearly. Never did she inspire to be an addict in fact she thought addiction only happened to weak minded people SHE THOUGHT she was amune.

• Lisa August 27, 2016 at 1:24 pm #

Well said , I live with a alcoholic he’s lost his job of 26 yrs. lost the relationship with his son , daughter in-law and two beautiful grandchildren. he’s lost all his friends and drive’s drunk and he’s never been caught I’ve called the law to tell them and gave his license plate number I’m so worried he’s gonna kill someone or himself , this pass month he was on a ventilator bout died but now back drinking again this has been going on for at least 15 to 20

18. Suzie Dunson August 25, 2016 at 4:53 am #

19. Lisa August 25, 2016 at 7:34 am #

My life crashed down hill real fast. At age 15 it all started with a blast. I didn’t start slow I just dove right in, that’s when a needle became my best friend. 30CC’s became a necessity, no more time for my loved ones and to hell with my family. I once had so many dreams for my future, now my future is filled with pain and strife consumed in darkness I have up on life. Controlled by a substance that I put in my arm, a poison that completely had me by it’s charm, a prisoner of my own demise, I chose to live another life. Trapt by by guilt fooled by pride I lost myself again and again continuing to cause other people to sin. Abandoned my family, dusty in the wind I created a child and still couldn’t give in. I have to change to be a good mother, can’t live this way and be a good lover. To be anything other then just a junkie I have got to change one thing….. everything!
    By lisa Teeters 2012

20. Chris Houze August 25, 2016 at 8:52 am #

After I had posted that article about all the overdoses on Cincinnati I we the last few days, I went back to re-read it and that’s when I actually read the comments section of it. At first I had a fury in me that I havnt felt in years. But the more I read the more I realized these people have no clue what it is to love or to be an addict. I have been on both sides of the equation and its just pure evil on your heart. I then prayed they never have to know what it’s like to lose someone close to you from an addiction because I think their narrow minded views would never let them understand or have the empathy to care for the people hurting most from the lose. They are the type of people I never want to be. Judgemental, never happen to me mentalities, addicts are only homeless bum losers, population control/survival of the fittest retards, ban narcan statements. I just hope we as a human race can wake up and get away from this devil addiction and come together and love one and other. Thanks for writing this article Dan.

21. Alyssa August 25, 2016 at 11:03 am #

My name is Alyssa, I am recovering from a substance abuse disorder, my sobriety date is 6-15-14. The day before that I died of an overdose for a little bit. Ten other people died that weekend two years ago, I got a second chance. This was not the first time I overdosed, but it was the last. Today I have the treatment I need for my major depression and anxiety disorder. I was trying to unconsciously trying to kill myself because I couldn’t stand being me.
    Today I am happy and healthy. I actively go into the community and give others my experience, strength and hope! I am in training classes this week to be a Recovery Coach/ Peer Recovery Supporter. I live in the heart of Akron, Ohio and hope to continue helping people through their recovery. They need to know they ARE worth something!

22. alex August 25, 2016 at 11:22 am #

I just want it to be over I can’t keep on any more every day is hell this shit won’t let up no releaf at all.

23. Rachel August 25, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

This was a great way for others to see the hell addicts go threw. Really bothers me people judge without knowledge about something. A lot of addicts have experienced things the people judging them only has nightmares about amd it helps them cope. I can’t stand when someone says let them die here’s the thing IMHO that person has normally suffered threw something traumatic amd they probably want to die to finally forget it or not feel anymore. But then to read about someone telling them to die for their choice of coping with something that person knows nothing about. To me it’s most telling the person what happened doesn’t matter and neither do you so just die. When if someone reached out showed them they are finally safe and love them in the way they looked for all their life then that person could do amazing things and hekp many more

24. Lola Jackson August 25, 2016 at 3:32 pm #

My son has been fighting for 20 years…..He is doing good right now..I pray for all that are fighting addiction, as well for all involved in there lifes…

25. Sharon Poe August 25, 2016 at 5:03 pm #

Thank you Dan for your words and your initiative to help others. I lost my son-in-law in February to this addiction. He was just 29 and left behind a wife and 2 year old daughter who adored him along with his parents and siblings who were just crushed by his death. He was not what some might consider the stereotype typical or obvious user. He was a paramedic and was quiet, gentle, kind and loving. No one knew he was using until right before he accidentally overdosed. It has been a tragedy that the entire family is still in shock over. Again thank you for reaching out to help others. You are a blessing and an inspiration for many.

26. Melanie S. August 25, 2016 at 6:35 pm #

I have been in active addiction on and off for 5 years. I have lost my entire world. My husband passed in May of this year. I have temporarily lost my two boys to his mother. And in and out of jail and treatment since then. I have overdosed I couldn’t tell u how many times and by the grace of god and my family I’m still alive. I’m finally in a place in my life where I WANT TO BE SOBER. I loved this story and every word totally touched my soul. Thank you for sharing.
    To the struggling addicts I pray u find a way out. Love and prayers to u all.

• Dan Workman August 25, 2016 at 7:11 pm #

I’m so sorry, Melanie. How can I help?

• linnea m sandkuhler August 25, 2016 at 8:26 pm #

I’m praying for you Melanie–you can do this and grateful that you continue to try. xo, linnea

• Loving my child August 26, 2016 at 1:33 pm #

Melanie, I will keep you in my prayers i will be praying for you to have the strength, courage, and support you need to continue on a sober path of recovery…

27. Gary Langis August 26, 2016 at 12:09 am #

A strong recovering addict comes from surviving through using. Know if your strung out and have a sliver of life you can survive.

28. Diane Taylor August 26, 2016 at 3:40 am #

You already know how much I admire your writing and especially your aggressive views on harm reduction. Dan this has opened up some really great conversation! I enjoyed reading the comments here. I love meeting people that want to network their ideas.

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 7:39 am #

It’s amazing, right?? I love the dialogue. I’m so overwhelmed. 21k shares now??

29. Shelley August 26, 2016 at 3:42 am #

I am the mother of a recovering addict. And all I ever saw throughout the years of pain, was my son my baby my heart.
    When all anyone else could see was an addict. Others saw him as he was I saw him as who he could be and who was before the drugs.
    He fights a battle everyday. And some people still see him as he was a drug user.
    But I see him as a fighter. To see him try and find a job and not get that job because of his past. But he fights on. He is clean and sober for 60 days now. And his sons see him as a drug free Dad. He a has a long fight ahead of him but he didn’t get where he was over night so he will have to let time heal old wounds and fight to keep being clean and sober.
    I watched him slip away from his family into a world I never understood but watching him come back is something I will never be able to explain.
    So the next time you think no-one cares for the person that is killing themselves on a daily basis think again. We love more they they can handle and we hurt more than we can handle.

30. Brenda August 26, 2016 at 3:53 am #

I LOVE this!!!! I am a recovering addict (68 days) & just today I overheard someone where I work call all drug addicts junkies & that they don’t deserve second chances!!! I almost burst into tears when I heard him say that!!! Something so personal to me …. Because believe me I have hit some extremely low lows in my 10yr addiction … I sometimes still feel that I’m unforgivable for the things that I have done in those 10yrs … Addiction is HELL!!! We have already been to the lowest places in our hearts, minds & bodies!!!! It takes incredible strength to pull ourselves out of the hell we lived! We are some of the most amazing people!!! I LOVE all of you!!!!

One Day At A Time …..

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 7:46 am #

This is wonderful, Brenda!! So much can happen when you get this monkey off your back. Day 100 for me.

31. Tracy Ella August 26, 2016 at 3:56 am #

I surely care! My brother is an addict. 5 DUIs all under the influence of a controlled substance. He’s latest was an accident where he hit a women and infant baby head on. Under the influence of 196 milligrams on Xanax, percocet, pot and Crack cocaine. My baby brother who I spent my entire life protecting. How can this be. My own twin sister an alcoholic. I can’t handle this misery.

32. Donna August 26, 2016 at 4:34 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I struggled with addiction for 25 years. I was in and out of jail, rehabs and hospitals. I finally got the help I needed at Grace Centers of Hope in Pontiac, MI. It is an awesome 1yr. faith-based, life-skills program that is TOTALLY FREE. It saved my life!! One of the unique things about it is that woman can take there children there with them so they can heal as a family. If you children have been removed from your custody they will help you in taking the steps to get them back. They provide everything you need, shelter, food, clothes, toiletries, diapers, therapy, parenting classes, day care….basically all of your neccessaties so you can concentrate on what’s most important…healing from the inside out. If you or anyone you know needs help please reach out to them.

• Donna August 26, 2016 at 4:54 am #

Oh and btw I have 13 1/2 yrs drug free now! 🙂

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 7:33 am #

Amazing!

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 7:32 am #

This is amazing, Donna. I might have just the woman to send. Thank you!

33. Toni August 26, 2016 at 6:42 am #

I lost my youngest boy, who was 23, last July from an accidental heroin overdose. I found him on the bathroom floor. At the time, I was napping on the sofa. That horrific day will haunt me to the day I die. I struggle each day to get out of bed. The guilt I feel is overwhelming. My heart is forever shattered. I miss my son so much. I don’t understand people’s cruelty in their outlook on an addict and their struggle. I have isolated myself from friends and some family members due to the their judgments. They wont even speak about my son and that just adds to my grief and hurt. I pray they will never encounter this hell that so many of us are mired in. May God bless and comfort us and give us strength.

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 7:35 am #

Oh, I’m so sorry, Toni. 🙁

34. Brenda Roark August 26, 2016 at 10:37 am #

I lost my son April 2015… To overdose on herion laced with phetinal .. 28 years old , 4 babies . It’s just horrible!!!! I miss him Sooo much … Sisters , brother , father , everyone misses him of course , it is soooo hard!!! It’s still unreal… I want to help others , I don’t know how to start but I truely want to. N those who judge I hope you never go threw this n loose a loved one cause then you may understand this disease…. I hate that people judge… My baby , my son , n all the other sons, daughters , fathers , mothers out there who are struggling I pray for you .. You can do this fight the fight , you truely are loved n can be anything you want . Just never give up keep fighting please!!!! Brenda lee

35. vienna August 26, 2016 at 11:55 am #

i couldnt agree more i spent 18 years i active addiction (heroin) and am now coming uo on 3 years clean in a week and you are right noone forced me to stick the needle in my arm and i may have done some not so great things for drugs but that doesnt mean i was a bad person it means i was a desperate one. i was hurting myself far more than anyone else and though i certainly owe many peopke amends direct and indirect… the biggest thing i can do to make amends right now is to stay clean and to help the still suffering addict as well as do everything i can to make sure my 2 year old son (the reason i got clean)doesnt go down the same road his father (still active) and i did thanks for posting this awesome read!!!!

36. Dean McKenzie August 26, 2016 at 1:16 pm #

Dan, I love that you’re giving back. In reading this, I think one key to long term sobriety (in my limited experience) is giving back. Being involved in a community that understands addiction, but also loves addicts not matter what.

I’m in Cincinnati. Over 60 OD’s this week! My heart hurts so much for the families and people affected by addiction. My father was a recovering addict and had been clean for the majority of my life. He was an addictions counselor or social worker of some type until the day he passed several years ago. After reading your blog, I’m fairly certain that his involvement in the community is what allowed him to stay sober.

Now that he’s gone, I don’t have a clue what I, a white-middle-class guy who lives in the suburbs, can actually do for the community. Is being involved in prevention enough? It doesn’t seem like that has the immediate impact on the community at large that seems so needed right now.

I’d love to have some conversations with you. I can help with your website if needed.
    Love you brother! Keep it up.

• Dan Workman August 26, 2016 at 3:16 pm #

Brother, email me. Please. I’m in dire need of Web help. I don’t know what to do with all of this. Before this my most popular post had 311 views. This just broke 70k. I’m so honored but overwhelmed. Dan@KeepHopingPeople.com

37. Cameron August 26, 2016 at 3:17 pm #

I’m a recovering addict. I’ve been clean for about a year. This past October I lost my fiance of 6 years to addiction. He had open heart surgery at 24. I then had to slowly watch him desenegrate. He suffered with congestive heart failure and passed away before he even reached 25. We both turned into addicts together. I hate that it took me nearly losing my life, and then watching him lose his to finally want out. I chose to live for him though. As an addict, I wake up every day and make the conscious decision to not use. It is a decision I will make everyday for the rest of my life. If I can go through all that I have and finally turn my life around, you can too. If there is anyone out there who needs help or just something as simple as some encouragement, it would mean the world to me to be able to help. Kind words like these help more than you can imagine.

Thank you all.

38. Montana Dunkleberger August 26, 2016 at 9:10 pm #

I know I was addicted for 2yrs. I lost a lot of stuff, but by the grace of God my family n some good friends stood by my side. 2015 I died 6x’s from an overdose on 1 bag. The doctor said I’d never walk again, cause my whole left side was paralyzed. It is a very awful addiction, and I don’t wish it upon anyone. I now have 6 months clean, and I visit the last rehab I was at to share my story with the clients to give them hope. I’m willing to help anyone who wants to stop. The pain, suffering and struggles that I’ve gone through, have made me a much better person today. I hope and pray that more reach out for help. This is a very touching post. Thank you so much. God Bless

39. Stephanie August 26, 2016 at 10:10 pm #

All I can say is this is the WORST thing as a parent to have to go through. My son is 23 yrs old and has been battling this HORRIFIC DISEASE for 8 yrs. It.has been a living HELL. I WOULD NOT WISH THIS UPON MY WORST ENEMY! ! To not be able to help/save your child is absolutely painful. To those who call addicts JUNKIES and any other terrible names….I PRAY YOU WILL NEVER HAVE TO ENDURE THIS LIVING HELL!!!!

40. Kristin merkel August 26, 2016 at 10:22 pm #

Inspiring I am on my second run of being sober I had almost 3 years and relapsed following a junkie lifestyle for 5 months while losing it all again I just got my license straightened out and a new car on the road I have 6 months at this point and I am struggling but staying strong thanks to people like you great article thank you !!!

41. K August 26, 2016 at 11:28 pm #

I am a prescription addict and unfortunately will be until I no longer can “breathe”. I appreciate all you say as it doesn’t matter if you have the scrip or you pursue the street form, it is painful and unbelievably hard to live with. God bless you and God help us with the battle!

• Dan Workman August 27, 2016 at 1:04 am #

K, why do you sound like you’ve already given into it? There’s always hope. I’ve seen people overcome horrendous addictions and find themselves again. There IS a light at the end of the tunnel. Not easy but worth it. Keep hoping.

• Jeff Pryor August 27, 2016 at 2:56 pm #

How can you be helped with a battle you are not fighting ? I had an oxy script for 16 years. I don’t care what any Dr. might have told you, their Are alternatives. The “unfortunately” in your post is disingenuous and screams the truth. You have to KNOW you can stop and want to. Nothing known to man is stronger than the human mind. Let yours save you. Good luck.

42. Tina Livingston August 27, 2016 at 2:11 am #

Three weeks ago my son overdosed. We were on vacation, my son was not supposed to be at our house. The girl caring for our animals wasn’t going to stop that day but felt that she needed to for some reason. she found my son laying on the kitchen floor. they estimate 30 minutes more and we would have lost him forever. my son is now facing three to five years in prison and it breaks my heart. The Courts see’s an addict. They don’t know him like I do, his great sense of humor, compassionate heart, The love for his daughter and family. Thank you for this article.

• Dan Workman August 27, 2016 at 3:21 am #

I’m so sorry Tina but I’m so glad he is still with you. Jail saved my life at one point.

43. Jeff Pryor August 27, 2016 at 2:37 pm #

Simple minded folks with no imagination
    Ignore the creeping void assaulting the nation
    Let the junkie die is all they can say
    Lock ’em all up make ’em all pay
    Really rather sad that their minds are so small
    And as they’ll tell you, they know it all
    The truth is though, they know not a thing
    Like how a person sinks when they can no longer sing
    A huge fucking stone that sits on your chest
    You try and you try to give it your best
    But often your best is just not enough
    No matter how cool no matter how tough
    We’re all just folks trying to get thru this life
    And brutal bad words can cut like a knife
    Cut you so deep you go fix up again
    The dope, once again, my only friend
    All of us out here dropping like flies
    Just can’t tune out all of heroin’s lies
    Judge me, begrudge me, step on my head
    Everyone will be happy after I’m dead
    But me being gone will change nothing at all
    Still thousands will be here, their backs to the wall
    If you haven’t been there, shut the fuck up
    Try to let some compassion pour in your cup

44. Jeff Pryor August 27, 2016 at 2:41 pm #

My comment is awaiting moderation ? Wow. If you change one word it is no longer my comment. If you have the hubris to edit, don’t post it. Peace.

• Dan Workman August 27, 2016 at 3:05 pm #

I was asleep. I wouldn’t change a thing.

45. Linda August 27, 2016 at 2:51 pm #

I’m looking for help

46. Dan Workman August 27, 2016 at 7:49 pm #

I can’t even begin to tell you all how overwhelmed and grateful I am for this response and dialogue. This is amazing and I love watching people come together like this. I am working on responding to emails. In the meantime, I am also putting this on Facebook.

47. Cleo August 28, 2016 at 3:49 am #

It is appropriate time to make a few plans for the
    long run and it is time to be happy. I’ve learn this submit and if I may just I wish to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or advice.
    Perhaps you can write subsequent articles referring to this article.
    I wish to learn even more things about it!

48. danielle elliott August 28, 2016 at 2:31 pm #

I was a heroin addict for 10 years. I did awful things while in active use. I got myself sober 8 years ago this Halloween 2016. The first year was medication assisted,then I weaned off methadone. I am disease free and survived my first and last overdose that required lengthy medical intervention in the hospital after a deadly combination of many other drugs. That being said, I am now a drug councillor and soon to be licenced clinical psychologist. I Aid in the rescue of addicts and animals. I Aid the mentally ill and homeless in connecting with needed Services. I made a list of those I wronged, and just made amends to number 28, the last one. I make the world a better place with mindfulness and love. Any addict can turn themselves around and change their world too.

• Dan Workman August 28, 2016 at 3:14 pm #

Danielle this is incredible and beyond inspiring. What hope!!! Amazing! Thank you!

• danielle elliott August 29, 2016 at 4:52 pm #

49. David f August 28, 2016 at 5:40 pm #

For all those armchair experts who know nothing about addiction but think they do,here’s a little experiment.Eat a box of ex-lay,(mind altering substance)then as the cramps and pain get worse,(physical reaction) try to hold it all in.welcome to addiction

50. Bill August 29, 2016 at 12:38 am #

I will right away seize your rss as I can’t to find your email subscription link or e-newsletter service.
    Do you have any? Kindly allow me recognise so that I may subscribe.
    Thanks. http://yahoo.net

51. Chrinstine August 29, 2016 at 5:42 pm #

I couldn’t resist commenting. Well written! http://Www.Yahoo.net/

52. TLH August 30, 2016 at 2:50 am #

Thank you for proclaiming your choice to continue to embrace your humanity even during confusing and extremely challenging times in a society which has moved away from emphasizing humanity. Some very hopeful studies have shown that addiction (to anything) has to do with lack of connectedness. You may find these current findings interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIzu7JRgEPA
    and this TED talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

• Dan Workman August 30, 2016 at 3:38 am #

Love… I mean LOVE the Ted Talks. Thank you for this!

53. Rolf Sveum September 7, 2016 at 5:20 am #

Very good article. I certainly appreciate this site. Thanks!

54. Chrinstine September 7, 2016 at 7:18 pm #

I could not resist commenting. Very well written! http://Bing.org/

55. Brittany September 8, 2016 at 1:47 pm #

I love this! The most inspiring article on addiction I’ve ever read. As a recovering addict it warms my heart to read articles like this because no one understands what goes on in our heads. No one ever wakes up and decides to be an addict, it’s usually caused by some underlying issue you may be going through. I’ve tried to get it through some peoples heads but it doesn’t work, and it hurts my heart when see comments like “let them die” or ” that person deserved it” or my favorite I’ve read before is ” let’s throw them all in a box and kill them”. So thank you very much for reassuring me that there are good people in the world and not everyone sucks ass.

Sincerely Britt H

• Dan Workman September 8, 2016 at 4:01 pm #

Brittany, you just made my day!! Thank you! This is my new passion. Fighting this stigma is a battle I will lose. But I’m so glad to see when it has had an impact of positivity. If you are on facebook come join us…

facebook.com/keephopingpeople

56. Rick September 8, 2016 at 4:37 pm #

I don’t want to come on here and wish bad thing on people but damn if for a min u think druggie want to live like they do then u don’t know what ur talking about..have u ever wake up and been so sick like u want to die everyday I wake up I’m trying to fine money to just get something so I’m not sick not high sick…. It’s hell prays for anyone lose anyone and plz if u got some bad shut to say keep it to ur self plz

57. Anna September 9, 2016 at 10:12 pm #

I am a recovering addict. And currently work with other addicts trying to get clean and sober. What you wrote here brought tears to my eyes. I wish everyone in society was like you and believed that addicts are the way they are because of emotional pain. Some think it is a choice to be an addict. They couldn’t be more wrong. It is not a choice, it is a coping skill. A coping skill that can kill. And sometimes thats all an addict wants, to tear themself down until someone cares enough to reach out and say stop it, I care.

Thank you over and over for everything you said here. And any other addicts that may read this and read all the comments, there are resources and other addicts willing to help you out. I wish the best for you, and your journey to recovery.

“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.”

58. Abby September 14, 2016 at 12:30 am #

My little brother struggled with his ugly addition for years it consumed him. he struggled to get clean. I didn’t understand his addiction and I distanced myself from him. My brother got a laced bag the last time he used and it killed him. I am thankful that there are people out there that are sharing their stories and information about addiction. I wish I had understood more when my brother was alive.

• Dan Workman September 14, 2016 at 9:07 pm #

I’m so sorry to hear about your brother, Abby. Thank you for commenting.

59. Amanda Marie September 16, 2016 at 2:21 pm #

I am a recovering heroine addict myself. I used heroine (IV) for over 10 years. I’m just about 31 years old now and have been clean for 14 months. I have the most beautiful 7 month old son that inspires me to do the next right thing everyday. Thank you for speaking for those affected by this awful disease! Most people just have no idea and do NOT understand. My family still doesn’t truly understand the power addiction has over a person. I’m so truely grateful for all the blessings I have in my life today! If I can come out on the other side, anybody can! Never give up hope! Thanks again!

60. Judi September 19, 2016 at 12:21 am #

I’ve never read things like this that have such raw emotions. My son is in prison. He has been fighting heroin for 10years now. I’m raising his children. Their mother is also a heroin addict. She’s in jail on and off. She’s currently in jail. I will not turn my back on either one of them. I’ve been told by family members to turn my back. I just can’t. I just wish they had help. I live in Ashland Ohio and there’s nothing here. God bless you for this site. Just reading all of this has helped me understand their mindset. Thank you so much.

• Dan Workman September 19, 2016 at 12:37 am #

Thank you so much. Please feel free to contact me if there’s something I can do to help. I know how hard it can be on the loved ones. 🙁

61. corburterilio October 8, 2016 at 1:24 am #

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the paintings you write. The sector hopes for more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to mention how they believe. At all times go after your heart. “What power has law where only money rules.” by Gaius Petronius.

62. Roseline November 8, 2016 at 11:50 am #

I was struggling to make my son Murphy quit drugs addiction. He has been addicted to drugs for the past 17 years. He fights, and inflict injuries on people and he also breaks into people apartment and steals whenever he does not have money to buy the drugs. He has gone to jails countless times. He has been taking to rehabilitation centers, yet he did not change. infact he get worst.I saw a testimony of a woman on the internet blog of how Diviner Odi helped her daughter to quit drugs. I contacted Him, and i was told what to do, in less than 5 days, my son quit drugs, he was very responsible and he has gotten married. All thanks to Diviner Odi for his help. If anybody on this blogs needs his help you can contact him via his email address: latterdayassembly@gmail.com

63. Facebook Videos November 22, 2016 at 1:18 am #

Greetings! I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and finally
    got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble
    Tx! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Arsenal - September 4, 2016

Arsenal

Very great post. thank you!