Erika needs HOPE,INstead of Hate

Meet Erika.

In Hope, Indiana Erika Hurt is hurting and out of hope.

Erika is the flavor of the week in this recent trend of filming and photographing overdoses.

In my opinion, if you want to go viral… eat some cinnamon or put an iPhone in a blender.

If you see someone overdosing, use the 911 feature on your phone instead of the camera.

636129883802605266-img-1526

Erika is obviously going to need to take responsibility for her actions. This young mother is clearly struggling with addiction and anyone with even a sliver of compassion is first going to think about the crying baby in the back seat.

Nevertheless, we don’t know Erika’s story. We don’t know what Erika is trying to escape in her life or what kind of emotional trauma led her to the needle.

One thing I can say for sure, is that Erika doesn’t need the help of people like these to feel worthless about herself:

screenshot_20161027-190949

“Then let them die..”

My only hope is that the people who think like this can open their eyes and hearts before it is their son or daughter in the next overdose picture… or coffin.

I’ve got no hate of my own for these people. I’m sad to say I once thought the way they do. It took suffering my own addiction to grant me empathy and humility.

What Erika did was wrong. Using drugs in front of a child or while caring for a child is obviously reckless. I’m never going to condone child endangerment.

However, like I’ve said before, there is nothing nasty or hateful you can say to Erika that she isn’t already saying to herself. Unfortunately, the fear and shame associated with addiction prevents a lot of young parents like Erika from opening up or asking for help.

Showing empathy, hope, compassion and love… that’s how we meet Erika with open arms. It’s not too late for Erika to be the best mother she can be. It’s going to take some work and the road ahead will not be easy. First we need her to utter those three little words:

“I need help.”

Just try to keep in mind your worst moment in life. Try to imagine your face plastered all over every social media and news page.

Now try to bounce back from that.

Does this young woman need to be kicked while she’s down? Or, maybe, just maybe… is it time to reach out our hands and help lift her back up?

(If you or a loved one is seeking treatment, feel free to email me:)

Dan@KeepHopingPeople.com

15 Responses to Erika needs HOPE,INstead of Hate

1. Michelle Parris October 28, 2016 at 9:21 pm #

Your an amazing person. Erika does need people to lift her up instead of bashing her. I’m so hapoy there is someone like you who makes these videos and hopefully people will understand.

• paula mcnealy October 29, 2016 at 7:48 pm #

Erika we all have are deep dark secrets but you just happen to be photographed. Maybe its gods way of going to extremes to force you to want to turn your lifearound Itmay seem drastic and at the moment it may feel like a nightmare but I believe in a year from now you will look back at the photo and thank God because the photo will hold you accountable. I know for the love of your child you will turn your life around and maybe you will visit schools and share your photo and your story. There is good things that could come out of this. God Bless

2. Danielle October 28, 2016 at 9:59 pm #

I am Praying for this young Mother.Everyone mAkes mistAkes in life. She will hAve a long road aheAd of her. HAng in there Erika!

3. Hannah Johns October 29, 2016 at 2:20 am #

I totally agree! I went to school with her she was a great person, sometimes we go down the wrong route and hang out with bad influences she doesn’t need to be kicked any more than what she is kicking hers. Same goes with other people I know like Teresa Maxey. Good person fell down wrong path.

4. Karin October 29, 2016 at 2:39 am #

Erica is a great person and needs help I know her and I know what addiction is like I’m a recovering addict myself and wish her luck with this baddle to the people that said all those nasty mean comments where’s your heart at people wow and I have a son struggling with meth addiction

5. Tim Hill October 29, 2016 at 2:56 am #

My name is Tim Hill I am a greatfully recovering heroine and meth addict I have almost 2 yrs of sobriety now a lot of ppl dnt understand what it is to truely be an addict..I am not ashamed to tlk of my illness addiction in a disiese of witch there is no none cure there Is only help for this through devoting ones life to a recovery program and wrking that program every day for the rest of ones life an individual has to be truely donethe thing is everyone has a different bottom it to me a long time to hit mine I hope that this girl will learn from all of the stuff that she is now enduring because of her addiction god be with u Erika hurt pray pray hard for forgivness ask him to change ur life give urself over to god let him guide u to a hapy full life through recovery

6. Jami Smith October 29, 2016 at 3:48 am #

Thank you Dan. This is my daughter. My precious Erika. I am so thankful that I finally get to see an article that speaks of helping her, or any addict for that matter, instead of hating her and wishing her dead. I do not condone what she did but I will stand beside her, fight for her and help her receive the help she needs to repair herself. I will walk beside her every step of the way! You see, she is MY child…I love her completely and unconditionally and I will NEVER turn my back on her.

• Dan Workman October 29, 2016 at 5:56 pm #

Jami, I am SOOOO glad to hear this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I can only imagine how she is feeling after all of this. I was amazed to get on here today and see all of the wonderful comments. If there is anything I can do, or if she needs treatment and is willing to try, I will find her a bed. I can assure you of that.

385-419-9567

• Tanya October 29, 2016 at 8:15 pm #

Hello Jami, my daughter now resides in Johnson County Jail, once again. She graduated from Edinburgh with honors. It started with pain killers after she was in a tragic accident where she lost her grandmother. She is 21, and has a beautiful 2 1/2 year old son whom she loves dearly. To my knowledge she has overdosed 3 times. There is no worse feeling of not knowing where or what your baby is at or if she is ok. My heart goes out to you and her. May god lead our girls in the right direction.

• Pam October 30, 2016 at 3:33 am #

Jami,
      My heart goes out to you and your family! when I saw the story, my heart broke for her. My son struggled with this addiction for the last 2 years but by the grace of God he is in rehab talking with a clear mind and making plans for his future. Sometimes, it really does take them hitting rock bottom before they get the help they need. I pray this was it for her. Praying for your daughter to be free from this addiction.

7. Elizabeth October 29, 2016 at 5:24 am #

Thank you. I’ve been trying to defend her since I heard. And people only badger her name and now, image. I know this girl. She’s beautiful inside and out, her mind is so amazing and the fact that she relapsed, does not make her an awful person. She has an addiction and addiction is the hardest thing in life to fight, especially on the hard days. She may have lost her way, but anyone who knows her, knows she will come back stronger than ever from this. Thank you for being the voice that everyone refused to hear.

8. Mike Cox October 29, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

I have been dealing with these people who blame addicts for over fifteen years. They are doing the equivalent of ignoring the elephant in the room, the war on drugs. They view the addicts as the cause of these social ills, when in fact the addict is a symptom of these social ills. In this case the social ill is called the “war on drugs”. The war on drugs is a thinly disguised program of chemical warfare. The US government has been using this type of chemical warfare since they starting giving “firewater” to the natives.

9. Cyndi Burton Brown October 29, 2016 at 3:09 pm #

Erika is my niece and people don’t know the real Erika. I know she did wrong and I’m not condoning it, I’m just saying I love her no matter what and once her ex boyfriend talked her into putting that needle in her arm, it has been a struggle. I know she could have said no, but friends and family have so much influence on us. I cannot swim, but I let a friend ride me on his back across a big river. 3/4ths across he was wore out. I seen my life leaving me that day. No not as bad as herion, but people play with death everyday. I just wish the haters would stop. She already hates herself enough. Thank you for understanding

10. Christy October 29, 2016 at 5:33 pm #

I also totally agree with you!!! People don’t show enough compassion to struggling addicts that would probably rather be clean than fight the contsant need for drugs to keep them from feeling sick! Yes she did have a child in the car and that is sad but she is truley a good person with a good heart. She needs people and friends to show love and hope that she is better than what people are saying about her!!! I love you Erika and keep fighting girl*

11. Christa fortier October 29, 2016 at 5:37 pm #

You can beat this gf you got a sweet boy to think about keep your chin up love ya